Friday, February 27, 2015

Trip #2 Lübeck

For my second trip in Germany, I went to the city of Lübeck. It is the second largest city in the state of Schleswig-Holstein and it was listed by the UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1987because of its beautiful architecture. It was a 7 degrees Celsius and it was a little rainy off and on all day. That sucked a little when I was walking around but it wasn't all day so there was some good times outside.

The modern town was founded in 1143 after the old one was burned down in 1128. The town has changed ownership several times over the years. In the 14th century, Lübeck became known as the "Queen of the Hanseatic League". It went through several periods of good times and bad times. In World War II it was the first city to be attacked by the Royal Air Force. Lübeck is known according to legend as the place where marzipan was created.

I took the train to Lübeck from Luneburg which was about a hour long trip. My restaurant of choice for the day was Schiffergesellschaft which basically a museum where you can also enjoy a wonderful meal.

It is focused on the port history with many ship models hanging from the ceiling. It served many tradition foods for the area and some exotic cuisine also. It was delicious!

My next stop was Niederegger for all the marzipan I could see, smell and eat!

They have been one of the most well known marzipan brands and you may even see some of their product on American shelves. They also have a café with all sorts of torte and cakes. So this is a great place to see some history of important food in the area while also getting to eat some delicious treats!

After having a delicious meal and some tasty cake, I took some time to walk around the beautiful city and look at the gorgeous buildings.

 While walking around I found the Theater Figuren Museum which has over 1200 puppets from all over the world. And while I am not a fan of puppets it was a cool experience before I had to go get on the train and go home. I also needed some new material to fuel my nightmares of creepy aging puppets and it was only €5 to get in. What a deal!

Besides the puppets my trip to Lübeck was full of scenic views, delicious food and interesting cultural items. But that's all for now and as always there are some links for more info at the bottom of the page. And here is my gift to you, a close up of a puppet to fuel your nightmares! 

More about Lübeck: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCbeck
More on some activcies in  Lübeck: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/germany/schleswig-holstein/lubeck/things-to-do
More about Niederegger:  http://www.niederegger.de/
More about Schiffergesellschaft: http://vorstand.schiffergesellschaft.de/

No comments:

Post a Comment